Bulldog Costume Ideas
*Typical costume size: Depends on the type of bulldog, but generally ranges from small (French Bulldog) to Large (English and American Bulldog)
- The Pug, which shares some common ancestry with the modern bulldog. It's generally a safe bet that your pug will fit into a size small costume.
- Mastiffs - also a related breed. Sizes Large to Extra Large, some Mastiffs may be too large for off-the-shelf costumes, in which case a little ingenuity, a few yards of fabric, and a glue gun will go a long way.!
Costume fit challenges and advantages:
- Larger chest/neck in some Bulldog breeds, particularly the English Bulldog, may require a size larger than dogs of a similar height and length for costume styles with a collar or fitted midsection
- Blocky bulldog (and bully breed) heads are perfect for just about any kind of hat, though the earset of the French bulldog can get in the way of some hat styles. If you have a Frenchie, look for hats that are narrow enough to fit between the ears - ideally a hat where there's a "loop" at the top of the attaching ties for the ears to fit through.
- Short nosed breed - don't dress them in such a way that any part of the costume obstructs their breathing, particularly if the weather is warm or humid or if they will be in a warm room.
Originally used for the sport of bullbaiting (or bearbaiting) and to control livestock and guard property, the bulldog evolved into a number of different varieties - each with a distinct appearance and temperament.
What could be more perfect a costume for a bulldog, especially of the English variety, than a line of costumes designed for (and modelled by) a famous bulldog? The officially licensed Zelda Wisdom ™ line of costumes features a variety of clever styles ideal for your bully boy or girl. They're available in sizes from Small to Large and yes, they fit other breeds too.
*(costume size and fit can vary widely for individual dogs even within the same breed. If you have any questions, we recommend you take advantage of the merchant's live help feature or call their 800 number before making an online purchase)